In a ceremony that took place at Mitten Hall’s Great Court, Klein College’s Dean Boardman said about Dean Baquet, “In the 17 years that we have had this event, we have recognized many giants of the media world. From Ed Bradley to Anderson Cooper, to Whoopi Goldberg, to Tina Fey. I am confident that no one we have honored has had as much impact, on our nation and on our world, as today’s honoree.”
The Lew Klein College of Media and Communication honored seven more for their exceptional work, six distinguished media professionals–two of them worked for Temple Update in the past–and one rising star of the media industry.
- Lorraine Branham: Dean, S.I Newhouse School of Public Communications, Syracuse University
- Tom Conti: Founder and CEO, Punch Performance Marketing
- Patrick Hally: Owner and CEO, Flycam International (Temple Update Alumnus)
- Benjamin Jankowski: Senior Vice President, Global Media MasterCard
- Michael O’Shea Jr.: Steadicam Operator and Director of Photography (Temple Update Alumnus)
- Terry R. Taylor: Journalist, The Associated Press
Rising star went to:
- Julia Nietsch: Senior Director of Communications, Bravo and Oxygen Media
Lew Klein talked to Temple Update and expressed his gratitude for the people that came to the event.
He said, “I think it (the event) is wonderful. Each year, and this is the 17th year, we have approximately 400 people who come to the luncheon. So, we are delighted with the crowd that comes every year.”
“Well I would say practice your writing,” said Murphy. “Write, write, write, because it is really all about that. I am a meteorologist now, but I started as a reporter and did some anchoring. And that is what really got me in the door and what got me noticed a little better than the average person.”
Dean Baquet also spoke to Temple students for an hour in a Q&A forum at the Temple Performing Arts Center, before accepting the 2017 Lew Klein Excellence in the Media Award.