Civil Unrest Occurs After Police Fatally Shoot Black Man in West Philly

Campus Safety issued a TU Alert for “Civil Unrest” after a few small groups of people attempted to break into stores near campus early Tuesday morning.

Police arrested a male for burglarizing the Foot Locker on the corner of Broad and Oxford streets and possessing firearms in his vehicle.

The activity was stopped and arrests were made Executive Director of Campus Safety, Charles Leone wrote in an email to Temple Update.

No other specific events were shared by the department.

An “All Clear” TU Alert was sent around 7:45 a.m. Tuesday morning.

The “Civil Unrest” alert was sent just hours after Philadelphia Police officers fatally shot a Black man in West Philadelphia.

The man, identified by city officials as Walter Wallace, 27, was shot before 4 p.m. Monday. The incident was filmed by a bystander and posted on social media.

Officers had been called to the predominantly Black Cobbs Creek neighborhood in West Philadelphia on reports of a man with a weapon, said Officer Tanya Little, a police spokesperson.

Officers said they found Wallace holding a knife and ordered him to drop the weapon several times. Wallace advanced toward the officers, who fired several times, Little said.

Wallace was hit in the shoulder and chest, Little said, but she would not say how many times he was shot or the number of times officers fired. One of the officers drove him to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead a short time later, she added.

No officers or bystanders were injured in the initial confrontation, Little said. The names of the officers who fired the shots, and their races, were not immediately disclosed. Both were wearing body cameras and were taken off street duty during the investigation.

Hundreds of people took to the streets in West Philadelphia and around the City into the early hours of the morning.

Police cars and dumpsters were set on fire as police struggled to contain the crowds. More than a dozen officers, many with batons in hand, formed a line as they ran down 52nd Street. Then, crowds largely dispersed.

Thirty officers were injured, most of them from thrown objects such as bricks and rocks, according to police. One officer had a broken leg and other injuries after she was struck by a pickup truck, police said. The other injured officers were treated and released.

The Associated Press contributed to this article. This is a developing story. Temple Update will publish new developments as they become available.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.