October was National Cyber Security Awareness Month, and Temple University Computer Services is concluding the month with Tech Bits: Top Ten Tips for Staying Safe Online.
There are many tips included to help people stay safe online, but here are some of the most important tips:
- Make sure that people do not know your passwords or any of your personal information.
- Always install a firewall or antivirus software when you get a new laptop or desktop.
- Have all your files backed up in case your computer gets a virus.
- Whenever new updates come out, always install them because they usually have the latest patches for security risks.
- If a pop-up ever appears on your screen, do not click any links or call any phone numbers. Instead just save what you are doing and restart your computer.
- Most importantly, trust your instincts. If you feel like something is wrong, chances are, you are right.
If you have any questions regarding security, contact the Help Desk through the Request Help/Service tab on the cs.temple.edu home page or call 215-204-8000.