Temple’s Rally Comes up Short in Loss to James Madison

untitled (3)Temple continued to fight and claw until the end but, ultimately it was not enough.

The Owls (3-6) fell to the Dukes by a score of 4-3 in a game that saw the team’s combine for six second half goals after totaling one in the first half.

The Dukes got on the board first in this one as about nine minutes into the game senior back Loes Stijntjes found the back of the net on a shot off of a penalty corner which gave JMU a 1-0 lead. That was the only goal scored between the teams in the half.

Temple could not generate much offense in the half as they recorded just two shots on goal and were able to generate just one penalty corner.

But, once the second half rolled around both teams offenses came alive in what was a very action packed half of play. JMU made it pushed their lead to 2-0 just two minutes into the half as freshman forward Miranda Rigg deflected a shot that found the back of the net.

Just two minutes after that Temple cut their deficit in half as forward Maris Stern found the back of the net for her first goal of the season. But, the Dukes came right back and made it 3-1 as just two minutes later, senior forward Danni Wilson put home a rebound off a corner.

Down 3-1, Temple continued to press on offense and about ten minutes into the half senior forward Alyssa Delp scored on a penalty stroke to cut the Owls deficit to 3-2.

After Delp’s goal, Temple’s offense had JMU on their heels as they were able to generate four corners in a three minute span halfway through the half but, just they just couldn’t put one past the goaltender to tie the game.

After that onslaught of corners from Temple, JMU came down the field and got a corner of their own and they were able to take advantage of it as senior midfielder Taylor West found the back of the net to put JMU in front 4-2.

Again the Owls didn’t lay down as sophomore midfielder Rachael Mueller was able to cut their deficit to 4-3 with about 10 minutes to play. But, that would be the closest Temple would get.

JMU received two yellow cards in the final minute of play and Temple pulled their goalie but, just were unable to put home the tying goal.

Temple actually finished the game with the advantage in penalty corners by a count of 9-6 after that slow first half.

The Owls will look to get back in the win column as they travel to the nation’s capital on Sunday to take on American University.


Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.