Temple’s women’s tennis team returned home for the first time since February, hosting Temple’s women’s tennis team played host to Providence College (5-12) on Sunday, April 6, at the TU Pavilion. The match marked Temple’s first home bout in over two months.
The owls scored first with the win at doubles, defeating Providence at the first and third flights. Junior, Rebecca Breland and freshman Dina Karina played well together to defeat their opponents at No. 1, 8-4. Senior Alicia Doms and sophomore Minami Okajima got the point at doubles with an identical score at No. 3.
The Providence Friars tied the match at 1-1 when Hannah Zangari defeated freshman, Anais Nussaume, 6-1, 6-0, at the fifth flight. From there it was all Temple as the remainder of the Owls won in straight sets en route to a 6-1 non-conference victory.
“It was great to be back playing on Temple’s campus. We played strong in both doubles and singles and I’m really happy with the effort today,” said Head Coach Steve Mauro.
The lady Owls have now won two of their last three matches improving to 7-10 on the year. They will remain home to host Fordham at the TU Pavilion on Wednesday, April 9, at 3:30 p.m. The match will be Senior Day for Temple, and four seniors – Jordan Batey, Carly Bohman, Alicia Doms and Yana Mavrina – will be honored before the match.
Temple (7-10) 6, Providence 1 (5-12)
- Breland/Karina (TU) def. Bernardez/Ramirez (PC) – 8-4
- Prinos/Zangari (PC) def. Mavrina/Nussaume (TU) – 8-7(5)
- Doms/Minami Okajima (TU) def. DeLuca/Pitocco (PC) – 8-4
Order of Finish: 1,3,2
- Alicia Doms (TU) def. Maria Clara Bernardez (PC) – 6-1, 6-3
- Yana Mavrina (TU) def. Alana Prinos (PC) – 6-3, 6-2
- Jordan Batey (TU) def. Jennifer DeLuca – 6-3, 6-4
- Dina Karina (TU) def. Karen Ramirez (PC) – 6-2, 6-1
- Hannah Zangari (PC) def. Anais Nussaume (TU) – 6-1, 6-0
- Rebecca Breland (TU) def. Amanda Pitocco (PC) – 6-2, 6-3
Order of Finish: 5,1,4,6,3,2
Courtesy of owlsports.com
Be the first to comment