Mayor Jim Kenney is enacting a city-wide curfew as Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf signs a proclamation of emergency disaster in response to the protesting, civil unrest and looting that has occurred after the fatal police shooting of Walter Wallace Jr. in West Philadelphia.
The curfew starts at 9 p.m. Wednesday and lasts until 6 a.m. Thursday morning. Businesses must close their doors by 8 p.m.. Restaurants, grocery stores and pharmacies can continue to operate using delivery services if they choose. The city urges them to implement security measures to ensure their safety.
In the two nights of unrest following the death of Walter Wallace Jr., the city says that approximately 170 arrests have occurred and 53 police officers have been injured. A Philadelphia Police Department tweet Tuesday night says that a group of approximately 1,000 people were near Castor Avenue and Aramingo Avenue looting businesses in the city’s Port Richmond section.
To allocate more resources to the city, Governor Tom Wolf signed a proclamation of emergency disaster Wednesday afternoon. The proclamation allows for state agencies to allocate available resources and personnel to help Philadelphia.
“Over the last few days, hundreds of people have gathered to peacefully speak out against social injustice, but their voices are being drowned out by others who are taking advantage of this fragile time in their city to sow mayhem and discord,” Gov. Wolf said in a press release.
“I signed this proclamation so commonwealth resources can be provided quickly to protect lives and property” Wolf said.
911 tapes and police body camera footage of the incident are expected to be released “in the near future” once the department speaks with the Wallace family, Police Commissioner Danielle Outlaw said.
Mayor Kenney previously requested the assistance of the Pennsylvania National Guard on Tuesday to assist the Philadelphia Police Department. They are expected to arrive Friday or Saturday.