Temple University joins a growing list of universities in Pennsylvania and across the nation to stop face-to-face instruction and transition teaching online amid the COVID-19 pandemic. This means that Friday may be the last day in an actual college classroom for some Temple students before graduating in May.
The University has sent some key information regarding this unprecedented decision in an email to students and faculty on Wednesday night.
New information will be added to this article as it becomes available.
Last updated: 2:00pm on March 19, 2020
Crucial Dates and Information:
- The last day for in-person class meetings is Friday, March 13. Classes will resume online for the remainder of the Spring semester on Monday, March 16. Specific details on class meeting methods should be communicated by professors.
- Students living in Temple housing are encouraged to move out ASAP. Dorms will close on Saturday, March 21 at 5pm and students must be moved out by then.
- Students living in non-Temple housing are encouraged to move back home as well.
University Housing and Residential Life:
- Housing refunds will be issued on a prorated basis during check out. Students MUST check out at their hall’s front desk to receive a refund.
- Extension requests can be filed through TUPortal. They must be filed by Thursday, March 19th at 5pm. Any requests filed after this time will not be considered.
- Residence halls will still receive mail, but it recommended to put in a “change of address” with the US postal service.
Exemptions may include:
- You have an academic placement or requirement (clinical, research, etc.) that requires you to be on campus.
- You are an essential student worker for a University school/department/unit – a validation letter from the school/department/unit is REQUIRED.
- You are unable to access reliable technology and/or internet for online learning.
- Returning home would be unsafe because someone at home is at an elevated health risk.
- You have difficulty returning home due to travel restrictions, visa issues, your home location has been significantly impacted by the current crisis, etc.
- You have an essential work study position at an approved non-profit partner.
Dining Halls/Food Service
- The Charles Library will closed until further notice after 6pm on Thursday, March 19
- The Tech Center is closed until further notice.
- The Howard Gittis Student Center is closed until further notice.
Information Technology Services:
- ITS technology loaning program has ended as of Wednesday, March 18
Campus Recreation and Athletics Information:
- All Temple University intramural activities and leagues have been canceled for the remainder of the semester.
- Campus recreation facilities will be closed at the end of business on Thursday, March 12 until further notice.
- Group fitness classes will stop at 1:30pm on Thursday, March 12 and are suspended until further notice.
- Temple University sport club activities will stop on Friday, March 13 at 8pm and are suspended until further notice.
- Football spring training is suspended for two weeks.
- The Cherry and White fan-fest on April 4 has been canceled.
- AAC tournaments have been canceled.